Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips
About a year ago, I tried to make kale chips for the first time. It turned out terrible. I could not figure out why people raved about “HOW AMAZING KALE CHIPS WERE!” So a year later, I thought I’d go back to the idea because maybe I was missing something…
While doing some research on vegan and raw diets, I came across an interesting ingredient – nutritional yeast (almost sounds as crazy as kale chips). Nutritional Yeast is a “cheesy” taste for vegans adding lots of flavour to many dishes. So I thought I’d try this in the kale chips. You’re probably thinking how this ingredient got into a recipe containing salt & vinegar… but the thing is that I wanted to use as little salt as possible.
Hence, this ingredient which packs a PUNCH in the savoury department. And I assure you it still has all the salty and vinegary taste you need. Also, I made sure to add a bit of lemon juice, so that the Vitamin C can activate our bodies absorption of the health benefits of Kale.
So the other key to these kale chips is to make sure to massage the leaves with the seasoning mixture before baking. Kale is a tough green; you really have to work your way to break down it’s barrier.
Now after some lovin’ in the oven, you’ll find yourself with a perfectly healthy snack that is crispy and zesty.
- 7-8 kale leaves, stem removed
- ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except kale leaves.
- Wash kale leaves and lightly dry with a cloth, to remove excess water.
- Place kale leaves in a large bowl and massage with seasoning mixture (it's faster to use your hands to cover leaves). Make sure to coat all kale leaves well.
- Place leaves on the baking sheet without any of the leaves overlapping.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Then flip all leaves over and bake for another 20 minutes (or until leaves have become crispy).
- Allow to cool and transfer to an airtight container for up to 3 days.