Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Chewy Cookies
I try to stay away from desserts as much as possible, I say that but I probably, most definitely have some sort of chocolate every day haha … Damn, sugar is so addicting! I do my best effort to limit my sugar intake because I don’t want to spike my glucose levels and too much sugar lowers your immunity. I know that I am sensitive to sugar, so with best intentions, I have it in moderation.
That being said, I was lucky enough to try square organics vegan protein bars and I absolutely loved the chocolate covered coconut flavour! And when I love something, I like to make a recipe out of it haha and so here we are on a raining Wednesday in September AKA perfect cookie making weather.
Okay, so now for the recipe… They turned out perfectly chewy and moist, which I was kind of worried about because whenever you make a new baking recipe, you don’t know how the end product will be until it comes out of the oven. So thankfully, they did and I didn’t end up with a chocolate sugary mess (which I would probably still eat anyways haha). These cookies are gluten-free and refined sugar-free. I like to add the cinnamon in because it is a great blood sugar regulator – feel free to add more cinnamon if you are sensitive to sugar as well. If you don’t have the square organics chocolate covered coconut bars, feel free to use vegan chocolate chips.
Enjoy and have a Wholesome Slice of Chocolate Coconut Cookies!!
(Not sure if that phrase works for this, but I’m going with it haha)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2/3 c coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c ground almonds
- 1 c coconut flour
- 1/2 c brown rice flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 chocolate coated coconut square organic bars, chopped into small pieces*
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper - set aside
- Whisk together ground flaxseeds & coconut milk in a large bowl
- Mix in coconut oil, coconut nectar & sugar, and vanilla to the wet ingredients.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together ground almonds, coconut flour, brown rice flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt
- Fold dry ingredients into wet and mix together until well combined
- Add in chopped square organic bar pieces and press into cookie shapes - should make about 18 cookies
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely
- *If you don't have square organics chocolate covered coconut protein bar, you can use vegan chocolate chips 🙂
- Discount code: "wholesomeslice" - www.squareorganics.com for 20% off your order
Disclaimer: this is NOT a paid post, I am simply mentioning square organics because I had the chance to try their products and really liked them 🙂